Islam desires that the nikah be announced in public so people are aware it. One method of informing people of the nikah and also to share the happiness brought by the union of the husband and wife is by conducting the nikah in the masjid. DarusSalam Foundation provides nikah services for Muslims according to Islamic teachings of marriage principles.
Below are the guidelines of DarusSalam Foundation and the procedure to be followed:
- We recommend that nikah be booked a minimum of three weeks prior to the planned date.
- The nikah is performed in the prayer hall. If any other part of the DarusSalam facility is used, the normal rental charges will apply.
- The prospective couple may obtain a marriage license from their county office.
- DarusSalam Foundation will keep a copy of the official marriage license for its records.
- We require the presence of two Muslim male witnesses for the groom and a guardian (wali) for the bride.
- The bride’s father is considered to be guardian (wali) of the bride by default. In the absence of the father, the representative scholar from DarusSalam performing the nikah will guide the future couple to possible alternatives depending on circumstances.
- With consultation and approval of the bride, the groom will offer, in writing, the dowry (mahr) to the bride. The amount of the dowry will be recorded on the marriage certificate.
- The details of the nikah will be recorded on a document which will be signed by the bride, groom, guardian (wali), and the witnesses. DarusSalam Foundation will produce a marriage certificate, providing a copy to both the bride and the groom. DarusSalam Foundation will keep a copy of the marriage certificate for its records.
- The official marriage license will be signed by the representative DarusSalam scholar performing the nikah. The DarusSalam representative will mail the original license to Dupage County for the registration of the marriage.
- DarusSalam Foundation reserves the right to refuse the performance of a nikah without reason. However, the possibility of this occurring is very low, especially if the above rules are adhered to and proper protocol is followed.