And of His signs is that He has created for you, from yourselves, mates, so that you may repose in them. And He has set between you genuine love and mercy. Indeed, in this there are sure signs for those who reflect.
Islam desires that the nikah be announced in public so people are aware it. One method of informing people of the nikah and also to share the happiness brought by the union of the husband and wife is by conducting the nikah in the masjid. DarusSalam Foundation provides nikah services for Muslims according to Islamic teachings of marriage principles.
- Carefully read and understand all guidelines listed below.
- Complete the application form.
- Once submitted, our office will contact you via email to confirm the requested date and time.
- Pay the $500 non-refundable service fee.
- Obtain a marriage license from the DuPage County Clerk's office within 60 days of the nikah date.
- Bring the following documents on the day of the nikah:
- Marriage license from the County Clerk's office
- Valid photo IDs of both bride and groom
- DarusSalam will fill out the marriage license and return it to the County Clerk via mail.
- DarusSalam will provide a Certificate of Islamic Marriage for the bride and groom.
Note 1: DarusSalam will provide one of its resident scholars to perform the nikah.
Note 2 : Upon receipt of the completed marriage license by the Count Clerk's office, they will retain the official marriage certificate for their records. If you would like a copy of your marriage certificate, you must contact the County Clerk directly and request one. (This request form is usually provided along with the marriage license).
- No photography or video of any type is allowed in the Masjid.
- No food or sweets is to be distributed inside the prayer hall. Boxed sweets can be given on the way out.
- The sister's section is completely separate. Women will only be able to hear the nikah proceedings but will not be able to see it.
- The sister's entrance is facing the main road (North Ave). The brother's entrance is on the opposite side away from North Ave.
- We recommend that the nikah be booked a minimum of four weeks prior to the planned date.
- The nikah is performed in the main prayer hall.
- The prospective couple may obtain a marriage license from their county office.
- DarusSalam Foundation will keep a copy of the official marriage license for its records.
- We require the presence of two Muslim male witnesses for the groom and a guardian (wali) for the bride.
- The bride’s father is considered to be a guardian (wali) of the bride by default. In the absence of the father, the representative scholar from DarusSalam performing the nikah will guide the future couple to possible alternatives depending on circumstances.
- With consultation and approval of the bride, the groom will offer, in writing, the dowry (mahr) to the bride. The amount of the dowry will be recorded on the marriage certificate.
- The details of the nikah will be recorded on a document which will be signed by the bride, groom, guardian (wali), and the witnesses. DarusSalam Foundation will produce a marriage certificate, providing a copy to the bride and groom. DarusSalam Foundation will keep a copy of the marriage certificate for its records.
- The official marriage license will be signed by the representative DarusSalam scholar performing the nikah. The DarusSalam representative will mail the original license to Dupage County for the registration of the marriage.
- DarusSalam Foundation reserves the right to refuse the performance of a nikah without reason. However, the possibility of this occurring is very low, especially if the above rules are adhered to and proper protocol is followed.